Discover how to achieve pregnancy after 40
The doctors at our Louisiana fertility clinic want women to know how to achieve pregnancy after 40. A woman’s egg quality and quantity diminish as she ages. This causes many women over the age of 40 to find it difficult to conceive a healthy baby. However, knowing how to increase the odds of conception after 40 can help women fulfill their dream of motherhood.
Why can it be challenging to achieve pregnancy after 40?
There are key reasons women may find it challenging to achieve pregnancy after 40.
- Diminished ovarian reserve. Because a woman’s ovarian reserve decreases with age, a 40-year-old typically has less than a 5% chance of conceiving with each cycle.
- Chromosomal abnormalities. A woman’s eggs have a greater chance of possessing chromosomal abnormalities as she ages. These abnormalities could result in miscarriage or prevent an embryo from implanting.
Although these circumstances can seem disheartening, there are many ways the doctors at our Louisiana fertility clinic can help women move past these fertility barriers.
How to increase the odds of becoming pregnant after 40
Women interested in knowing how to increase the odds of achieving pregnancy after 40 should keep certain considerations in mind.
- See a fertility doctor as soon as possible. Time is of the essence when you’re trying to become pregnant after 40. As a result, we recommend scheduling a consultation at our Louisiana fertility clinic if you have been unable to conceive after six months of trying.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle. Eating nutritious foods, drinking ample water, exercising regularly, and abstaining from smoking, drugs and excessive alcohol consumption can all enhance your fertility health.
- Egg donation. For women who have eggs with chromosomal abnormalities, egg donation could be their most effective path to motherhood.
- Preimplantation genetic testing (PGT). With this testing, we’re now able to make sure only healthy embryos are transferred into the hopeful mother’s uterus. This testing significantly improves a woman’s chance of developing a healthy pregnancy.
If you’re wondering how to increase the odds of achieving pregnancy after 40, we recommend scheduling a consultation with one of the compassionate and knowledgeable doctors at our Louisiana fertility center. Contact us for more information about our fertility services.