Why you need to know when to see a fertility specialist
Our Louisiana fertility center doctors want hopeful parents to understand when to see a fertility specialist. Receiving the right fertility care as soon as possible can help minimize costs and maximize the hopeful parents’ chances of taking home a healthy baby. In addition, seeing a fertility specialist at the right time can help reduce stress and confusion.
When to see a fertility specialist
Many factors can make women good candidates for a consultation with a fertility specialist.
- Those who have been trying to conceive for over a year. A healthy woman, under the age of 35 who has no known reproductive health issues and has been trying to become pregnant for more than a year without success, should see one of our fertility doctors.
- Women 35 or older. Another factor impacting when to see a fertility specialist is age. Hopeful mothers, over the age of 35, who have been trying to conceive for six or more months, should see one of our Louisiana fertility center specialists.
- Issues with BMI. If a woman’s body mass index (BMI) is too high or low, it could affect her balance of reproductive hormones that regulate ovulation. Women who are under or over a healthy weight should consult with a fertility doctor.
- Certain medical circumstances. Women with medical conditions like sexual dysfunction, amenorrhea or a history of pelvic disease should see a fertility specialist as soon as possible.
- Women interested in freezing their eggs. Women who would like to postpone motherhood, who are at risk for premature ovarian failure or who need cancer treatment, should consider freezing their eggs. Fertility specialists can help these women understand egg freezing and get them started on the path to fertility preservation.
If you meet any of the above criteria, our compassionate and knowledgeable staff can guide you through the next steps.
After you understand when to see a fertility specialist, the next step is scheduling an appointment at our Louisiana fertility center. During your initial visit, we’ll provide you with information about fertility evaluations that could be beneficial. We’ll also explain how we work with you to develop a customized and effective treatment plan.
We look forward to supporting you on your journey to parenthood or fertility preservation. Contact us for more information about when to see a fertility specialist.