Discover the benefits of IUI with donor sperm for lesbians
The fertility doctors at our Louisiana fertility clinic have found IUI with donor sperm for lesbians to be an incredibly effective LGBT fertility treatment option. While this won’t be an ideal treatment plan for all patients, many will find it to be one of the simplest and most affordable paths to motherhood.
For lesbian couples, intrauterine insemination (IUI) consists of donor sperm being inserted through a catheter into the uterus of one of the intended mothers. The sperm will then ideally fertilize an egg to create a healthy pregnancy.
Selecting a sperm donor for intrauterine insemination
When at least one intended mother in a couple has a good ovarian reserve and a healthy uterus that can support a pregnancy, they can move forward with IUI with donor sperm for lesbians.
The first step involves the intended mothers selecting their ideal sperm donor. They can select someone they know to be their sperm donor or go to a sperm bank to select an anonymous donor.
- Carefully screened donors. No matter what type of donor the intended mothers select, the man needs to undergo thorough screening. The goal is to assess the donor’s family, medical and sexual history to ensure that he is healthy.
- Healthy sperm. A crucial aspect of donor screening involves a semen analysis that ensures the donor can provide healthy sperm. Healthy sperm greatly enhances the chance that the IUI with donor sperm will be successful.
- Selecting the right donor. To support intended mothers in the selection of their ideal sperm donor, sperm banks provide photos and information about the donor’s occupation, hobbies and personality.
The next steps of IUI with donor sperm for lesbians
Once the couple selects a sperm donor, the process of IUI with donor sperm for lesbians can move to the next phase.
- Sperm preparation. After the sperm donor has provided a semen sample, the team at our Louisiana fertility clinic will prepare it. Our laboratory team will separate the semen from the seminal fluid to prepare it for transfer to the uterus.
- Monitoring ovulation. The intended mother who will carry the pregnancy will then begin monitoring her cycle with an ovulation predictor kit. In some cases, the woman will be given ovarian stimulation medication to support the maturation of her eggs.
- Insemination. The last phase of IUI with donor sperm consists of the insemination. The day after ovulation likely occurs, the intended mother will come to our Louisiana fertility clinic where her doctor will perform the IUI using the donor sperm.
An IUI is the least invasive LGBT fertility treatment option for lesbian couples. It also involves minimal time and discomfort. We are honored to support women in building their family through this exciting treatment option.
Contact us for more information about IUI with donor sperm for lesbians.