COVID 19 Update 3/20/20:
The Louisiana State Department of Health has issued a new rule. The Department hereby directs that any and all medical and surgical procedures that, in the medical opinion and judgment of the physician or other appropriate healthcare professional acting within the scope of his/her license, can be safely postponed for a period of thirty (30) days, SHALL be postponed for a period of thirty (30) days. This thirty (30) day period shall run from March 19, 2020, through April 21, 2020, unless otherwise extended in writing by the Department.
The physicians and staff at Fertility Answers have discussed this for many hours trying to determine if there is any way we can justify continuing infertility treatments. Our conclusions are the following:
- No new ovulation induction and timed intercourse cycles.
- No new ovulation induction and IUI cycles.
- No new IVF stimulation starts.
- No new FET (Frozen Embryo Transfer) starts.
- Those patients already on stimulation medication can continue this until their IUI, retrieval or transfer.
- We feel confident that the impact of pregnancy on COVID-19 and the effect of COVID-19 on pregnancy are minimal. (As we stated before, no expert worldwide has recommended against getting pregnant.)
- The rationale for these measures is to minimize exposure and to utilize fewer resources that could be used for patients infected with COVID-19.
This has been a difficult week for everyone. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and tolerance of these policy changes. We are also sorry that our recommendations have changed so drastically but we are simply adapting to new data as it becomes available. We will continue to update this site as we receive new information.
In the meantime, we are offering teleconsults for patients allowing you to connect with a Fertility Answers doctor from a computer, tablet or phone from the comfort and safety of your home. Please contact us to schedule.
Dr. John Storment, Dr. Susan Conway and Dr. Neil Chappell