Fertility Answers - Helping Build Families

Difference Between an RE and an Obgyn

Learn the difference between an RE and an obgyn

Difference between an RE and OBGynOur Louisiana fertility doctors often get asked about the difference between an RE and an obgyn. To clarify, an RE is a reproductive endocrinologist and an obgyn is an obstetrician and gynecologist. Many hopeful parents want to know who can offer the best support when they’re trying to become pregnant.

The breakdown of the difference between an RE and an obgyn

It’s easy for women to become confused about who they should be seeing when trying to conceive. While obgyns and REs both have a role to play, the primary factor in who the hopeful mother should receive treatment from is how long she’s been trying to become pregnant.

  • How an obgyn can help. Understanding the difference between an RE and an obgyn starts with the woman’s fertility needs. When a woman is initially trying to conceive, she might visit her obgyn for a fertility consultation, which usually consists of blood work. Obgyns have completed medical school, a residency in obstetrics/gynecology and two years of practice experience.

    If a woman is over 35 and has been trying to conceive for at least six months, her obgyn should refer her to an RE. If a woman is under 35 and has been trying for 12 months, her obgyn should make a referral. An obgyn might also refer a woman to an RE if she’s had more than one miscarriage or has a condition that could affect her fertility.

  • How a reproductive endocrinologist can help. A big difference between an RE and an obgyn is that an RE only comes into the picture when a woman is having trouble conceiving. An RE has completed all the training required of an obgyn, but has also completed a fellowship in reproductive endocrinology, received extensive training and completed two years of practice experience in the fertility field. An RE is trained to make the right infertility diagnosis to enable them to create and implement a customized treatment plan that gives the hopeful parents the best chance of taking home a healthy baby.

After a woman has become pregnant with the support of a reproductive endocrinologist, she will return to her obgyn for prenatal care.

Knowing the difference between an RE and an obgyn is an important step in receiving the right treatment. Our Louisiana fertility doctors can offer further clarification.

We’re here to help

Our Louisiana fertility doctors are experienced reproductive endocrinologists who can support hopeful parents on their path to parenthood. We understand what a challenging journey infertility can be and strive to make the process easier.

Contact us to learn more about the difference between an RE and an obgyn.

Like Us on Facebook