Use these instructions to properly collect a semen sample
Male partners are often required to collect a semen sample for semen analysis, sperm freezing (cryopreservation), before an intrauterine insemination (IUI), or during an in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle. Use these instructions for proper semen sample collection for use in these procedures.
Please remember that all andrology procedures require an appointment with our andrology lab. This includes if you will be collecting outside of our laboratory, possibly using our home collection kit, and dropping off your sample during our business hours. Appointments for in-office collections are available 8:00 am-2:30 pm Monday-Thursday and 8:00 am-11:00 am Friday. A physician’s order and valid picture ID must be presented to our office along with your specimen.
Instructions for semen sample collection:
- An abstinence period of 2-5 days should be observed prior to collection. Abstaining from sexual intercourse or masturbation for several days can help build up your ejaculate, especially for men who have low sperm counts.
- Schedule semen sample collection at least 24 hours in advance.
- If you choose to collect specimen outside of our laboratory (“drop-off”), ensure that the sample can be delivered to our laboratory within 1 hour of collection. Please schedule appointment with our office to coordinate with this time.
- Urinate prior to specimen collection.
- Thoroughly wash and dry hands.
- Collect semen by masturbation into a sterile specimen cup. If your partner is joining you, please note that oral sex is not allowed for this procedure.
- DO NOT USE LUBRICANTS OF ANY KIND. This includes jellies, gels, Vaseline, soap, saliva, etc.
- Secure lid on specimen cup and maintain cup upright during transport.
- Place cup in a bag to prevent exposure to sunlight.
- Keep specimen warm by holding cup in hands or securing between legs during transport.
- Avoid exposing sample to extreme heat or cold.
Following these instructions carefully will ensure that your semen sample collection can be used in your upcoming procedure. Contact us if you have any questions.